Swedish meatballs are made with a blend of seasoned beef, pork, & vibrant spices and tossed with rich homemade gravy. This traditional classic Swedish dish is super easy to make and deliciously healthy as well.
An interesting fact about meatballs in Sweden is that – if you ask any children from 5 years and over about what they like to eat, then they will definitely say MEATBALLS!
When it comes to a comforting homestyle dinner that satisfies all the members of your family – then there is no comparison with these simple yet gorgeous Swedish meatballs recipes. In my experience – these are the best meatballs I have ever tasted. They are even better than Ikea!
How To Make Swedish Meatballs At Home
Swedish Meatballs are very popular in Sweden as it’s a traditional and classic comforting dinner. The recipe can be easily made with certain ingredients and taste so good with gravy sauce as well. For the meatballs – I would recommend grinding your meat on your own with a meat grinder at home. Meatballs taste so good when you use ground meat by yourself. You don’t know how fresh the meat is and the meat quality – when you buy ground meat, right? And to cook the meatballs – you fry them in a pan or use an oven to bake the meatballs into it. Let’s jump into the recipe without wasting your time anymore.
- ½ of an onion – finely chopped
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 clove minced garlic
- ½ cup milk
- 1/3 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp allspice – or all-purpose seasoning
- ¼ tsp each of ground white pepper and black pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large egg
- 35 ml cream
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ pound ground pork
- 1-pound ground beef
GRAVY SAUCE – OPTIONAL:
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp regular soy sauce
- 250 ml vegetable broth
- 25 ml beef broth
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup thickened cream
- Salt and pepper – to season
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour – or plain flour
- In a large bowl – add garlic, egg, cream (if using), peppers & spices, salt, milk, and breadcrumbs together. Let the breadcrumbs soak the milk for at least 10 minutes.
- Now transfer the meats, onion, and parsley – once the milk has absorbed some. Use your hand to mix them all together. Make 16 large meatballs or 24 small meatballs using the mixture.
- Now preheat your pan on medium-high heat and put 2 tsp of oil and 1 tbsp of butter in it. Move the meatballs into the pan in batches so that the meatballs don’t simmer or stew. After frying them – transfer to a warm plate and cover with foil.
- Now put 1/3 cup of butter in the pan to melt and whisk in the flour and wait until it turns brown. Add the rest of the ingredients such as soy sauce, cream, Dijon, and pour in the broth as well. Now bring it to a simmer. Add salt and pepper to taste. To combine all the flavors together – mix the sauce thoroughly.
- Keep simmering until it’s thickened.
- Non-Swedish Way: Transfer all the meatballs into the gravy and enjoy the deliciously healthy Swedish meatballs.
- Traditional Way: Well, serve the yummy and gorgeous Swedish meatballs over stewed or plain macaroni, mashed or plain potatoes. And you don’t need to make the cream sauce at all.
- If you prefer meatballs lower in carbs – you can replace the breadcrumbs with an almond meal. Again, if you want to replace the flour in the gravy sauce – simple use 2 tbsp of water along with 1 tbsp of cornstarch mixed. add the cornstarch mixture to the sauce – while you are stirring the sauce over low heat at the end.
- Though garlic is not a required ingredient in the Swedish meatballs recipe but I recommend it to use in this delicious meatball recipe. I generally grate the garlic clove with the small part of the grater. You can go for minced garlic as well.
- Well, if you want to reduce calories – just replace the thickened cream with reduced-fat cream. Make sure you don’t bring it to a boil – if you are using half & half because it may separate.
I hope you liked The Best Swedish Meatballs recipe and now you know how to make them super delicious as well. If you have made the recipe for your friends or family members – then please let me know how they turned out for you!