Did you know that April 12th is National Grilled Cheese Day? I didn’t know that was a thing. The things you learn via trending on Twitter. Here’s my attempt at the cauliflower grilled cheese sandwich, first seen on The Iron You. For the record that site has some amazing food, it makes me super hungry, so you’re welcome in advance!
Who doesn’t love grilled cheese sandwiches? Like, they’re crazy right!?! So I was chilling on Pinterest, because that’s what I like to do when I am bored at 3 am and I am putting off working on blog post. #guilty ▬ I found this cauliflower grilled cheese recipe. I thought to myself that looked yummy, of course it looks better than how mine turned out. As my one friend told me, healthy food looks good, but it’s time consuming and that can’t be more true.
You don’t need to be gluten free to enjoy the no-bread sandwiches. This is good for anyone who wants to cut out bread. This is my first time ever doing this, I think I had more a mashed potatoes texture than the rice like texture, practice makes perfect. It still turned out well though.
- 3 cups of cauliflowers
- 1 cup of shredded cheese
- 1 egg
- 3 slices of cheese of choice
- Preheat the oven to 450F and move the rack to the middle. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (I just used a non-stick pan) and oil it.
- Place the cauliflower florets in the food processor and pulse until it is about the size of rice. It should be finely chopped but not pulverized.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 8 minutes, until cooked and soft.
- Allow the cauliflower rice to cool so that it is easier to handle. Place in a tea towel and squeeze out as much moisture as you can. This is a very important step as the cauliflower rice needs to be dry to form into bread slices.
- Place the dry cauliflower in a mixing bowl, add the eggs, mozzarella and salt and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal sections, and shape each into a square on the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 16 minutes, until golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool 10 minutes before removing from the parchment paper.
- To make the grilled cheese sandwiches: heat the butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Place one slice of the cauliflower bread into the pan, top with cheese, and another slice of bread.
- Cook for 2-4 minutes on each side, until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown.
Hello! I’m the sweet tea obsessed girl behind the blog. I’m a single mom of four awesome kids and I’m a cook. My hobbies include comedy shows, concerts, binging Tiktoks & Netflix. I also like taking random vacations 🙂